Find out more about IT Development Software
What is IT Development Software?
IT development software helps users to track and manage the process of software development. It enables companies to collaborate on project tasks and enhances the efficiency of the IT development process. The various types of IT development software include: mobile development, continuous integration, continuous deployment, continuous delivery, configuration management, build automation, and integrated development environment (IDE). Advanced solutions enhance the capabilities of employees by facilitating upgraded collaboration, and they also help companies to understand and cater to the demands of their customers. To select the perfect IT development app for your organization, consider our current leader Microsoft Visual Studio as well as other top platforms we have reviewed.
Top 10 Most Popular IT Development Software
Best IT Development Software
How To Choose The Best IT Development Software
There are numerous good choices available for IT development software which makes selecting the right one a tough task. Don’t get taken in by the marketing hype of online vendors. Pick a reputable provider who will stay with you over the length of the contract. Read on to learn more such tips in this buyer’s guide which can help you sort out the best IT development software programs and vendors from the average ones.
Get to know each product with free trial
Sign up for the free trials or demo of all the platforms in your shortlist and test drive each software’s features to find out about their usability and benefits. This will help you realize if the IT management software for enterprises or SMBs actually lives up to the boasts of the vendor. Reading about features and using them in real world are two different things. Get feedback from your company’s users about the strengths and drawbacks of the software. Use the free trial period to do a comparison and gauge which system will a suitable one for your organization over the long term. To start, you can register for the free trials of the following tools which have received high rankings and user satisfaction rating in our IT development software reviews to choose the best IT Development software for your needs: Zoho Creator reviews, Mule ESB, Stackify, and Applozic.
- Small businesses can use IT development tools to solve complex business problems.
- IT companies and medium-sized companies can also make use of the solution
- Large enterprises are also potential customers for IT development tools vendors.
What are Examples of IT Development Software?
- Microsoft Visual Studio: Microsoft Visual Studio is an integrated development environment (IDE) designed by Microsoft.
- Microsoft Azure: Microsoft Azure offers an integrated set of templates, tools, and managed services to boost the productivity of developers and IT professionals.
- IntelliJ Idea: IntelliJ Idea is designed to boost productivity by offering intuitive code assistance for all supported frameworks and languages.
- BitBucket: Bitbucket is a web-based hosting application for projects that use either the Mercurial or Git revision control systems.
- Git: Git is a leading source code management solution for small business and big organizations used by professionals as well as novices for software development.
Types of IT Development Software
- Mobile development – Languages of choice: C#, Java, HTML5, Objective C, Android, Swift (for iOS)
- Data science – Languages of choice: Python, MATLAB, C/C++
- Application development – Languages of choice: Python, C#, C/C++, Java, VB.NET
- Back-end development – Languages of choice: C and C++; Linux scripting for Cron; also (my)SQL, dBase and Oracle for databases
- Software tools development – Languages of choice: C++, Python, Java
- API development – APIs are created for specific platforms, and each API will have the programming language of the platform it is created for.
- Embedded systems development – Languages of choice: Java, Embedded C, Python, Assembler, Arduino (an embedded C derivative)
- Security software development – Languages of choice: relevant to the system that needs to be tested.
- Cloud computing – Languages of choice: Clojure, Google’s Go!, Java, R, XML, Erlang and others.
- Distributed Computing – Languages of choice: Fortran, OpenMP and others
Key Features of IT Development Software
- Application level security – Lets you control access to apps on a per-user role or per-user basis.
- Row-level (or multi-tenant) security – This is an important aspect of reporting, BI, and B2B applications. It lets you control data access within a single app at the row level which means multiple users can access the app but can only view the information they are permitted to see.
- Single sign-on – Users can enter their name and password in one place to access multiple apps.
- User privilege parameters – These are used to personalize security and features to individual users and user roles.
- Flexible authentication options – These let your authenticate your apps using the authentication sources you already use.
- User-specific data sources – This feature is similar to row-level security, but at a database level. It lets you build a single app that accesses various data sources depending on the user.
- Application activity auditing – Enables developers to log end users’ signon/signoff activities. This allows IT departments to see when a user logged in, which app they accessed, and when they signed off.
Benefits of IT Development Software
- Tailor Made: IT development software can be created using the latest technology and can be customized for the client’s business needs.
- Greater Value: Over the long term, the benefits of developing custom IT software are far higher than investing in ready-made products.
- Easy Maintenance: Custom IT development software and apps can be easily maintained for as long as you use them.
- Integration: You can integrate the IT development software with multiple apps that you use to boost productivity.
- Reliable Support: Top vendors offer reliable technical and customer support to resolve all your queries and issues promptly and efficiently.
How to Select a Suitable Vendor
Be Clear about What You Need
This will help you to make a list of features that can do the required tasks. Prepare this must-have list and resist the temptation to go in for gimmicky “bells and whistles.” Be sure about what you are looking for in the software. The system should align with your business goals and stakeholders’ needs.
Check the Vendor’s Credentials
Do a thorough background check of IT development software providers to find out their longevity in business and whether they are a thriving concern. The vendor should exhibit strong credibility and capabilities, possess partner certifications for the solution you want to buy, and ideally have a product development team consisting of knowledgeable engineers.
Get User Feedback
Get references from the vendor and ask these clients about their experiences with the software. Ask the users how long they have been using the product, whether the system addresses their specific business needs, and whether the customer support agents are prompt and knowledgeable. You can also read online reviews to learn more about the software and the provider.
Look for a system that is customizable and scalable to keep up with your company’s growth. This is important as your investment should be viable over the long term and you shouldn’t find yourself in a future situation where your company’s needs have outgrown the capabilities of the IT development software you buy today.
Beware of Hidden Fees
Read the fine print of the contract carefully to check if there are added fees for setup, training, maintenance, document management services, and customer support. Beware of provisions that enable the vendor to raise the fees after some time. Make sure there is an exit clause that allows you to end the contract prematurely if the solution does not work for you.
What Happens If You Divorce the Vendor
Be clear about what happens to your data if you end the contract for some reason. Some vendors are known to hold back a client’s data or charge a big amount to prevent them from leaving. So before you sign the contract, ask the vendor whether they will return your data in case of divorce. You may have to cough up a fee if the vendor encrypts your data, but that is understandable and par for the course.
Work Out the Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)
Before you sign the contract, collaborate with the vendor to create KPIs to ensure the implementation is a success. Be clear about what the software should accomplish for you and select an application and vendor that guarantees to fulfill your needs. This can ensure successful implementation which can lead to a long-term partnership with the software provider.
Consider the Following Factors in Your Evaluation Process
- Integrations – The IT development software should smoothly integrate with the legacy systems you use to boost the efficiency and productivity of the applications. Successful integration can also eliminate repeat data entry and ensure all systems are updated with relevant information.
- Setup and training – Select a vendor who will help to set up the software and train your company’s employees to use the system effectively. The solution should be easy to learn and use so that your employees are motivated to utilize it productively.
- Customer support – The provider should offer reliable technical and customer support to resolve any issues you may have with the software.
- Upgrades and updates – Select a cloud-based system as the vendor updates and upgrades the software automatically without any disruption to your business.
There is no doubt that a good quality IT development software can boost your employees’ efficiency and productivity. But don’t get taken in by the reputation of a software and its provider. A high-end solution packed with robust features may not serve your purpose if you don’t need all the functionalities. Do your homework thoroughly and follow the tips provided in this buyer’s guide to select the right IT development software for your company needs.
List of IT Development Software Companies
Page last modified
Our Score Read More
FinancesOnline makes use of our certified SmartScore™ approach to test all the applications in the IT Development Software category to help you get the best possible solution. It pays attention to the following elements: individual features, collaboration elements, customization, integration, intuitiveness, help & support, how secure a software is, mobile support, scores in other media. At the moment, Microsoft Visual Studio is the leader in this category and we gave it the highest score in our tests. After thorough testing it got the best results among its competitors and we strongly suggest that you include it as one of the options for your needs.
User Satisfaction Read More
A look at total user satisfaction with the software in our IT Development Software category calculated using our unique algorythm that collects customer reviews, comments and opinions across a wide set of social media platforms to help you make an educated purchase decision.
Pricing Read More
Each vendor in the IT Development Software category will have a different group of pricing packages for its service and each package will include a unique set of elements. Below we list the overal pricing for the cheapest plan provided for each app. Please note that advanced features may have an extra cost.
Devices Supported Read More
A summary of what type of devices and operating systems are supported by these B2B solutions in the IT Development Software category, including mobile platforms and web-based solutions.
Laguages Supported Read More
Check which languages and geographies are served by the top B2B apps in the IT Development Software category, including apps aimed at international markets and prepared for multi-cultural groups of employees.
Pricing Model Read More
Find out what pricing packages are offered by the vendors in the IT Development Software category to see which one suits your business needs and budget best. Keep in mind that certain apps can support free or freemium accounts for you to try out first.
Customer Types Read More
An overview of which groups of companies a given B2B solution in the IT Development Software category provides for, from small businesses and non-profits to big enterprises.
Deployment Read More
An overview of what styles of software deployement are offered by every B2B vendor in the IT Development Software category. While almost all modern SaaS solutions are cloud-hosted certain services may offer an on-site deployment model too.